View Single Post
Old 15-03-2013, 01:45 AM
Stardrifter_WA
Life is looking up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerg View Post

I have been to many observatories and planetariums OS which locals and tourists flock to, but aren't at all involved in research because of their location and other factors. I think Perth Observatory has similar potential.
I agree Roger. In fact I have submitted a marketing plan to the Government to this end. I originally wrote this plan years ago, when I was doing marketing management studies, and recently revisited it and updated it. The observatory has much potential in outreach, but lacks any real interest in Government to retain it.

I fear that the observatory may become a thorn in the Governments side when CALM is split up. The Observatory portfolio has been moved through a number of departments over the years, although I don't actually know how many.

I just hope somebody in Government picks up the recommendations that I have made. But, I doubt it! Then again, one has to try, as I can't just sit here and do nothing.

Unfortunately, I think it is a losing battle, particularly given the Governments commitment to the SKA. It is a new direction for science and an area that Perth Observatory just doesn't entirely fit into.

Cheers Peter

Last edited by Stardrifter_WA; 15-03-2013 at 01:56 AM.