View Single Post
Old 15-03-2013, 12:58 AM
rogerg (Roger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink138 View Post
really dont know what to say about that roger.......... would there have been anything anybody, or group could have done about it?
just playing devils advocate but was the observatory still relevant?
I don't necessarily have a problem with the argument some have that the observatory is no longer relevant for research. But I think it has enormous potential for outreach, tourism, and mixed activities (not just looking at the stars) while keeping the history in place. I would have liked to see at least one of the research positions converted to a new position to assist expanding those other possibilities.

I have been to many observatories and planetariums OS which locals and tourists flock to, but aren't at all involved in research because of their location and other factors. I think Perth Observatory has similar potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICURMT View Post
http://www.parkes.atnf.csiro.au/news...rofest/awards/

So ... does this mean that the exhibit will not be there?
Yes it will be, and volunteers are helping man it.

Please read what I have written, not between the lines - it is two research positions that ended today, the announce,net of which was made a couple of months back, the final two research positions, it is not the closing of the observatory, at this stage.