View Single Post
Old 03-06-2020, 08:26 PM
DarkArts

Thanks for all that input. It's very much appreciated and I'm keen to hear more of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroApprentice
I found the Conclusion amusing in this context: "The ideal observing site is a single, steep volcanic cone rising out of the ocean"!
I've always wanted my own hollowed-out volcano lair. Mwahahahaha.

Damien Peach - arguable the best amateur planetary photographer in the world - conducts 'campaigns' in Barbados. The island doesn't rise steeply to a couple of thousand metres - the highest point is 336 metres - he doesn't image from up there - and it's impossible to be >5km from the ocean given the island is ~10km across. He cites the three most important factors as laminar air flow off the ocean, slow and stable 300hPa jetstream and the percentage of clear days. In the UK, Damien lives about 1km from the Sussex coast with water on 3 sides, like Ken. Those things gave me hope that good seeing can be had in the right location near-ish the sea, even if it has to be a bit elevated.

When I lived in Sydney just north of Bondi, with mostly open air parking, all of the local residents hosed their cars down with fresh water every morning. We lived about 50m from the cliff edge and the onshore breeze blew spray over everything. On the other side of South Head in Vaucluse or Rose Bay - about 1000m inland but much nearer the harbour - nobody did that as spray wasn't an issue.

Canberra's cold skies are unfortunately accompanied by cold everywhere else, so slightly warmer weather - less cold in Winter anyway - is something I look forward to as well as skies a little darker than my present Bortle 6.

I will have to weigh up the priorities and consider proximity to facilities, as Glen mentioned. There are many things to think about!