View Single Post
Old 11-07-2020, 09:51 AM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Induced pupil dilation!

Here’s a quirky one for comment.

Whilst thinking about eyepieces and exit pupil and reading about how to measure my dark-adapted pupil size, I thought I would pop in to my local optometrist to ask if there was any way to measure it for me. I knew it was unlikely I could become dark adapted first though in the shop so I asked about inducing the dilation.

They said it wouldn’t work because the drops they use to force it to happen would actually dilate the pupils way beyond what any amount of time under really dark skies could ever do and would thus not really reflect my true exit pupil.

That got me thinking though. I asked how long the effect would last and he said usually 4 or 5 hours so there is the potential to have it done one late afternoon when it promises to be clear to see if I would notice any difference. Obviously I’d have to wear super dark sunglasses whilst leaving the shop to go home but then try to stay dark until the sun goes down.

Has anyone ever tried this, perhaps simply opportunistically? Do you think you would notice any difference I.e. see fainter stars etc?