Thread: Focusing issue
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2020, 08:48 AM
Rusty2

Focusing issue

Howdy !
I'm having a focusing issue . I've been doing a lot of reading but don't have the experience to know which direction I should be looking to resolve the problem .

I bought a 12" LX200 . The documentation says "pinpoint stars" . But after using the scope for the last 2 or 3 months there's nothing "pinpoint" about it even when using a bhatinov mask . Using a camera or eyepiece , pinpoint is unacheivable , there is no pinpoint .

If you look at the "doughnut's" below you can see that the scope is ever so slightly out of collimation . If the documentation says pinpoint , surely collimation must be the problem , right ?

I'm assuming that a focal reducer may help but I'd rather get it working correctly without throwing unnecessary money in the wrong direction and reducing focal length .

I am using the "rough focus" knob but no matter how carefull I am there is no pinpoint . I understand that I will eventually need a collimation tool and a proper focuser but right now I'd like to resolve the problem before proceeding any further .

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated . : )
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (2min exp.jpg)
122.3 KB184 views
Click for full-size image (30sec exp.jpg)
116.2 KB183 views
Click for full-size image (Unfocused.jpg)
110.9 KB189 views