View Single Post
Old 25-05-2017, 10:04 AM
Jasp05 (Aaron)

Sky adventurer or HEQ5 (Goto) - Beginner astrophotography with DSLR

Hi guys,

I've been dabbling in some widefield astrophotography for the last few months. Have built my own barn door tracker which has allowed some nice shots of the milkyway with my dslr.

However I'm looking to start using some longer FL lenses and see if I can get some images of fainter dso's.

Currently looking at a Sky adventurer mount, as I like the idea of it being so portable, and its reasonably priced for its performance from the reviews I've read.

However I do feel like astrophotography is something I will likely continue to do in the future and am wondering if purchasing a mount like a heq5 pro would be better. This would allow me to throw on a refractor or something down the track as I get more involved.

Can anyone provide some insight as to which option would be best or pro's and cons of both? Budget is in the $600-$800 range. (I believe a second hand HEQ5 would be in this price range?)

I currently own an 8 inch collapsible dob, which I plan to make an EQ platform for. Or as a third option would buying an EQ platform for my dob allow for better astro shots than any of the above options?