View Single Post
Old 16-04-2020, 10:39 AM
Zander
n00b

Thanks so much for the replies!

Quote:
Hold the front of the mirror in front of a white light source then look at the back of the mirror and see how many "holes"
I did this and didn't notice too many holes. There were only half a dozen or so, where I think the mirror surface has been etched through/oxidised over time.

Quote:
I wouldn't scrub too hard you'll end up damaging the coating, if it doesn't improve with a light clean. I recently picked up a 10 y/o 10" gso for a parts price. The overcoat had gone hazy and no amount of cleaning would improve it.
I ended up (probably ill-advised ) using a bit of window cleaner and a glasses cleaner pad on the edge of the mirror to test if the haziness could be removed.

Here is the result

https://imgur.com/XPtVWNi

It looks like the haziness has actually been diminished somewhat, however I'm not sure if I would've damaged the coating by doing this, so I'm hesitant to do this over the entire mirror surface.

I didn't have any iso-propyl alcohol (which the manual recommended to add to the sink while soaking), but perhaps if I get some it might help dissolve the haziness with gentle wiping? What do you think?