Thread: 3d printers
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2017, 01:07 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

My Cetus has rarely been off, churning out faultless prints reliably. Exactly what my Cocoon never was. Finished the top half of the Falcon 9 rocket on it yesterday. Two rocket halves about 1.5 inch thick and 11in long is a challenge to print vertically as the wobble when it gets to the top can cause failures. My Cetus just continues to amaze me. Going to throw metal filament at it tonight

@Zero There are tons of great free options for modelling objects to print and cnc mill etc. I use TinkerCAD and Lightwave 3D (not free but I've been using for years), AutoDesk has a bunch of stuff "free" to "students and enthusiasts" so you can check them out anytime fore yourself, you dont get modelling software with 3D printers, usually you get a "slicer" program which takes your built 3D model and outputs the commands to control the printer to build it.

BTW the Cetus has print volume of 180mm x 180mm x 280mm (I got extended version which prints higher).

There's a lot of good reports about the Creality CR 10 3D printer too, very reliable etc. Can be had for around $500 too. So it looks like reliable quality prints are starting to become the norm at the low end, well around $500 mark, rather than just being a bunch of parts to tinker with we're approaching a consumer product that does what it says on the tin.