View Single Post
Old 11-01-2019, 04:15 PM
SteveJP (Steve)

Question Colour balance and flats and RAW files

Hi,

I'm imaging with an ASI071MC Pro OSC camera, generally using Sharpcap, although I'm also playing around with SGP as well. I'm calibrating, stacking and processing with Pixinsight.

There are a couple of things I don't understand, so perhaps someone can enlighten me.

Firstly, Sharpcap implements the Red and Blue colour balance controls provided in the ZWO API, so when I'm taking flats, especially sky ones, I can adjust for a nice neutral grey so that the stacked image is not affected by the colour of the flat. SGP on the other hand doesn't provide any colour balance controls (presumably since it doesn't debayer anyway), so you get I think the ZWO default colour balance - what ever that is. Is this not a problem with SGP? How do you get neutral flats?

I should add, that I have Sharpcap set to RAW16, but the colour balance still affects the colours in the FTS file (after debayer). Actually I don't understand why the Sharpcap colour balance settings affect the FITs RAW file. What is the point of a RAW file anyway, when it's the camera itself that is adjusting the colour balance?

Of course, none of this would matter if the colour of the flats made no difference to the stacked image. It certainly does with Pixinsight. Why should the colour of flats be taken into account anyway when the frames are being flattened.

Thanks
Steve