View Single Post
Old 16-08-2018, 04:43 AM
astro744

You mentioned you were wanting something better that the Hyperion you had so getting two more puzzles me. I've not used the Hyperion or Skywatcher (except for cheap Plossl) in a Newtonian so really cannot comment on them. Perhaps others that have used such a combo can chime in.

I have used Tele Vue in a variety of telescopes and will highly recommend them especially since you mentioned them as a long term goal but mostly that they are very good in any telescope. I would take one Tele Vue over two or three others and then you are at least one third of the way to your goal.

As a first I would either get the 24mm Panoptic or 13mm T6 Nagler but both eventually with the 9mm later. You can get a TeleVue 2x Barlow to complement the 13mm and 9mm or get shorter focal length if you prefer for planets and high power on globular, planetary nebulae and doubles.

Even with Tele Vue there are so many choices and I am old school and have not used any of the newer Delos or Delight but they are highly regarded by many. Note you could also invest in a full set of Tele Vue Plossl (or at least up to 32mm) and a Tele Vue 2x Barlow for the money and they will also serve you well and are a far better option that the 'Plossl' types that come packaged with most telescopes. Of course the Plossl are only 50 degree apparent field end even if you get them you may want one day to own something wider. If you want a wow factor now and within budget get the 13mm T6 Nagler and enjoy! (Maybe add a quality Tele Vue 2x Barlow if you like planets).

For the purist less glass is better for planets but this is very often over emphasised and the effects of seeing and collimation have far more impact than the amount of glass in the optical train especially if the glass is of high quality.