View Single Post
Old 10-11-2016, 09:25 PM
StephenRH (Stephen)

Pukemaru Observatory

Here are some photos of my observatory. The actual building is 7.2m long x 4.8m wide. The walls are 2.4m high to keep out the SW winds. But as you can see, part of the wall folds down on three sides – south, east and north – if I want to get closer to the horizon. Normally I have them up, and if any come down, it's usually the southern one so I can observe variables low in the south. The roof slides off to the west and that limits my westerly viewing. But that's OK as there is a mill and town to the west and the roof blocks out the slight glow. The roof slides off 2/3 of the way so that my chart room is always covered. as can be seen in the first photo.

The roof is very heavy but my builder said it needed to be to support the 4.8 m wide roof. I control it with two boat winches – one to slide it off and the other to slide it back.

The Observatory is about 80 metres up the hill from my house. It is great having it so handy, and the telescope is always set up ready to go. I have red lights on a rheostat in the chart room.

I have a decent electric fence around it now to keep the stock (cows and bulls) away.

It is idyllic up there under the stars, observing variables, listening to the radio and drinking coffee.

I will soon be putting my 28" f/3.3 SDM in there. It won't be long now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Pukemaru Obs 1.jpg)
64.9 KB350 views
Click for full-size image (Pukemaru Obs 2 sides.jpg)
55.8 KB308 views
Click for full-size image (Pukemaru Obs 3.JPG)
78.2 KB302 views
Click for full-size image (Pukemaru Obs 4 inside.jpg)
87.2 KB322 views
Click for full-size image (Pukemaru Obs 5 W side.jpg)
82.1 KB324 views

Last edited by StephenRH; 10-11-2016 at 09:56 PM.