View Single Post
Old 08-08-2018, 12:42 AM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
Don't buy anything. There is another solution - go join an astro society, turn up at their observing nights and use other peoples gear. Why own the stuff when others will let you have a look through theirs - and when that gear is far more than you can possibly afford.

Big scopes are for when you have the cash to splash (and don't care), the right space to use them and store them, and if you are in a big city, the car to transport them safely. Alternatively if you live in the country with dark skies at home, great, but this is not reality for most until they can retire, and even then unlikely.

Family comes first.
House second.
Car third.

Scopes are well down the list, very much a boys-toy or luxury item, along with cameras, hi-fi, and expensive sporting gear like paragliders and ski-gear.
No local Astronomy Society up here in Cairns unfortunately; it folded a few years back.

Have the funds to purchase something nice; more just don't want to do it then, discover I did it wrong & have to do it over in a few years time.

I'm leaning towards the C8 AVX combination at present; I think it will give me what I am seeking as well as provide me with a solid mount for when I want to use the 80mm.

I've thought long & hard about this; really did consider going the dob route but, truly believe I will use the SCT more regulularly & that storage will be less of an issue for me.

Cheers to all that have ventured an opinion, together with reading a large number of articles, reviews & the like, they have been invaluable in terms of evaluating my options & coming to a decision.

Regards

Carlton