View Single Post
Old 31-05-2011, 09:31 AM
DJ N

Hi Bill,

Well I was lucky enough to have some clear skies last night, so I did some testing with the flattener attached to both the ED120 then the ED80. The good news is that the QHY8L came to focus on both scopes, however, I could not get "round" stars in the corners. On the flattener there is a scale indicating distance from lens to chip (66..76..86). I basically tested at 5 different settings on both scopes, roughly equating to 66, 71, 76, 81 and 86 mm. Maybe the sweet spot needs to be a lot more accurate so I will need to do some more testing. The other thing that comes to mind, I want to check the actual distance I am getting from the imaging chip. I have threaded the QHY8L directly to the flattener, which seems to me to be the design intent. Maybe, with the inherent design of the QHY8L it is too close a distance, so maybe I will require a "male-female T thread extender". Not too sure if these exist?

Anyhow, hopefully we can get some more comments. I might try and send Troy a PM, as he seems to be having good success with this flattener, his ED80 and 40D.

Cheers,

Daniel