View Single Post
Old 09-01-2008, 08:36 AM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
D40x would be close to the 400D. I personally don't like Nikon's new series at all. They don't feel like real cameras to me, and feel like fischer price toys. I loved my D50...sturdy, reliable, and very low noise. It could most likely compete against a D300 if it had 1/3 ISO stops.
LOL!! I thought that we were talking about noise performance here, not camera feel.

On the flip side, I personally (as do many people) LOVE the way the new entry-level Nikons feel - it is THE reason I went with this camera in the first place - well, apart from having a dozen Nikkor prime lenses I want to keep. The new series are small, lightweight and feel perfect in my hands because of the polycarbonate body. Not everyone's hands are the same and cameras handle way differently from person to person. Nikon has had great success with this slightly smaller format - read the general comments on forums such as Nikonians, where you'll find hundreds of comments like mine. After a walking around for a full day shooting 900 to 1,200 hand-held photos I still feel unaffected by its weight - which is a real boon to me. I reckon that other manufacturers will follow suit at some stage.

Funny that you should mention this, and talking of Fisher Price - that's the way the current low-end Canon's (especially in silver) feel and look that way to me. To me they feel plasticky, fragile and clunky, so there you have it! LOL! My Canon video camera is simply horrible - another silver kids toy.

Anyway - what happened to the original thread? Are you going to get you D50 back for a comparison? I'd probably have done this before you dumped the D50, but that's me....

Last edited by Omaroo; 09-01-2008 at 11:45 AM.