View Single Post
Old 30-09-2013, 09:34 AM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
The flattener is also a reducer. If you image the central area of your corrected field without the reducer it won't look as good as a crop of the same fov with the corrector on. So the answer would be no. Keep the flattener on.

Is that optically possible or is that another WO marketing hype claim?

I know the Astrophysics 155TCC is a reducer and I think its a fairly flat field although I have not tested it in CCD Inspector. Usually they are 2 different accessories.

I suspect marketing BS especially from WO who had no qualms claiming fluorite lenses when they were ED glass (which has a lot of fluorite in it).

Generally you use a reducer to get a wider FOV and also a faster F ratio meaning faster exposures due to more light coming from the wider FOV.

With full frame it takes a pretty high end reducer to give round stars to the corners. Usually a flattener is needed and it tends to be one or the other. If your use of it shows round stars to the corners and CCD Inspector shows a flatter field I'll stand corrected.

A wider FOV is handy for extended objects and a higher F ratio is handy for getting a bright exposure quickly. So the answer is it depends on the imaging target.

Have a look at Marcus Davies' images. He uses a flattener for regular targets, a reducer for wider extended objects and an extender to capture some galaxies/smaller objects. That's with a Tak TOA150.

Objects like the Large and Small Magellanic Clouds, Orion, Vela Supernova Remnant, Pleiades, Rosette, Eta Carina all are going to look nicer generally speaking with a wider FOV and faster F ratio to get extra depth.

Objects like NGC253 (Sculptor Galaxy), M83, Centaurus A, The Running Man Neb, perhaps the Horsehead require a bit more focal length so the reducer would not be used. In that case you would need a dedicated flattener as your scope may not give round stars to the corners on a full frame sensor - in fact it almost certainly will not. Virtually no scope does without a flattener/corrector of some type.

Often a flattener slightly extends the focal length by a small margin as with Astrophysics dedicated flatteners.

Greg.