Thread: Canon v Nikon
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2012, 12:48 PM
Adelastro1 (Wayne England)
Hard to soar like eagles.

Hi Eddie,
I thought I would weigh into this discussion because I currently use the D7000 and have had a D700 and also briefly a D3s. I can't comment on Canon or Pentax at all as I've only had one - my old film EOS 50.

In May last year I upgraded (yes upgraded!) from a D700 to D7000. I found that I wasn't using the D700 full frame capabilities with the lenses I had and couldn't afford to upgrade them, so I changed to the D7000. Since the D700 has been around for years it is somewhat outdated (we are all waiting for the D800!) and some of the features and technology found on that (and even the D3s) were put in the D7000. So effectively with the D7000 you are getting a cropped sensor version of the D700, with improvements!

I find the D7000 amazing for my widefield astro work. The high ISO is fantastic and I regularly use ISO 6400. However lenses are just as important because all I have is an f4 lens, but if I had an f2.8 I could take the same image with a lower ISO anyway. I've hired the Nikon 14-24 f2.8 and it certainly is amazing. It's my next lens, and even with my cropped sensor it will still give me 21-36mm effectively.

Another thing that I love with the D7000 is the battery capacity. It lasts for many hours which is especially good when doing timelapses. Not sure how the 60D rates for that though.

I also like how easy the D7000 is to use. All the buttons feel as if they are in the right spot and easy to get to. When I'm out shooting in the dark all the adjustments I need are reached by buttons and settings can be checked by the dim lit top view screen and I don't need to look at the menu on the main screen and ruin my night vision. It may be similar on Canon but I do like this feature on my D7000.

I know there's probably dozens that rate each higher, but here's a review that rates the D7000 higher after people have used them, not based purely on specs. http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20031259-1.html

I understand the Canon has better video, but who uses that anyway?? I also imagine that you will be using it during the day, so work out what else you want to do with it. The D7000 is very fast with focussing (I think that was handed down from the D3s) which is great for wildlife, sport or subjects that need quick shooting.