View Single Post
Old 30-11-2012, 10:05 AM
AstralTraveller (David)

I didn't see Bobs Lookout but, back in Cairns afterwards, my friends talked to some French tourists who were nearby. They spotted the roads in the hills above the lookout that go to the power line (quite visible on Google Earth). He managed to get one of those large Maui motor homes up there, a feat that amazes me at a few levels. Something that big and shiny on the top of the hill could be seen for kms and so they wound up with about 20 other cars up there. No mention of the coppers.

While I'm on matters of road management, a big hand to the cheerful copper at Mareeba who did me for doing 72km/h in a 60 zone. I believe I was about 20m past the sign when he got me and 300m up the road, when he stepped out from behind the bush to wave me over I was down to 50km/h. I hadn't seen him, I was just winding down as I approached the built up area. When he stopped me there were no other cars visible in front or behind me, it was a wide road with good vision under bright sunshine. I must have been stopped for 10 minutes and I think another couple of cars went by in that time. But a potential menace has been nipped in the bud and Qld coffers enriched by $148. He asked whether I had ever been booked before in Qld. I told him, "Mate I haven't been booked anywhere in 35 years." He told me I was doing well and not to let it ruin my day .