View Single Post
Old 15-05-2018, 10:38 AM
jbdave (David)

Just thought I would post an update.

I set up the HEQ5 mount in the country up at my in-laws place with the ED80 on top. Tried a few different methods. PHD2 was all over the place and I couldn't get it consistent. Drift aligning was taking me half the night. I then tried Sharpcap as per a suggestion above.

I ended up getting 1 minute exposures without trails, which I was pretty happy with. I wasn't overly happy with the images due to focus issues, etc through the ED80 (will be buying a mask to help with that). The weather also wasn't the best so I didn't get any great images out of the night, but it did allow me to experiment.

I then went and bought an AZ-EQ6 to set up at home as I prefer imaging with my 8" newt, and with the guide scope/camera set up it was getting too heavy for the HEQ5.

A couple of nights in and I am up to about 20-25 second exposures. Guiding gets me about another 10 seconds, so clearly I am still off somewhere. The polar alignment tool in sharpcap changes when I re-do it and swing the scope 90 degrees in the other direction. I do know I am still a little off however, but at least it's getting me something. I am also working with a 1000mm focal length, rather than the smaller ED80.

These are two images I took a couple nights back with the ED80 and the 8"newt.
Now my problem is colour issues in post processing, which can be seen in another thread
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (carinaed80.jpg)
207.3 KB37 views
Click for full-size image (carinanewt.jpg)
203.4 KB41 views