View Single Post
Old 08-12-2011, 03:23 PM
swannies1983 (Dan)

Finding faint objects without GoTo

Not sure if this is the right thread but it relates to finding objects prior to imaging.

I've now started the exciting path of imaging DSO. I successfully imaged a few of the brighter objects such as Omega Centauri, 47 Tucanae, Tarantula Nebula and the Orion Nebula. By "successfully," I mean I have taken a few subs and moved onto the next object. Only recently have I started to spend more time on the one object (see my Sculptor Galaxy example). I will get back to the other objects as time progresses.

My question relates to finding objects before imaging, particularly those invisible to the naked eye, even through a finderscope. I don't have GoTo so what is the best method of finding faint objects?

These are my current steps for imaging naked eye visible (at least through though finderscope) objects after polar alignment:
  • center a star in an eyepiece and adjust the finderscope so that the star is centred.
  • As I said, I don't have GoTo so I rely on settings circles to find objects. I set up the settings circles based on whatever star I have centred.
  • I then attach the camera and focus using a Bahtinov mask.
  • Untighten the clutches and based on co-ordinates, move the scope to the object that I plan to image.
  • Look through finderscope to see if object is centred. Generally I find that I do have to move the scope a little to centre the object.
  • Take a short exposure to make sure object is centred on the camera.
  • Once done, start imaging.
This is all well and good for objects I can see with the naked eye. I could just see the Sculptor Galaxy through the finderscope but what happens when I can't see the object?

Is it just a matter of taking a short exposure to see if the object is there?

Would a Telrad help?

Would it be best to centre the object first using an eyepiece, then attach the camera? If I do it this way, will there be a close enough star to use to focus?

Interested to hear what people do for these faint objects.