View Single Post
Old 26-10-2009, 10:38 PM
michaellxv (Michael)

Playing with a Quickcam

So I thought I 'd try the Logitech quickcam experiment seeing as it would cost me nothing.

First time out I set up during daylight and got it to work focused on distant trees. I thought maybe this might work and be some fun. Once it got dark I could not pick up anything with it. I think I just wasn't getting lined up properly and there was no moon at the time.

Tonight was my second outing. Setup again before dark and lined up on the trees. All good so far. Then swung around to the quarter moon.

First thing I noticed was this was zoomed in far more than I expected. I was thinking I would have a full shot of the moon and that would be it. This was more magnification than I get from my smallest EP.

The image started out all washed out but then either the camera or software (wxAstroCapture) was adjusting something and toned things down so the craters could be seen. If I can stop the wind I might even get a picture out of this.

Next I moved over to Jupiter. All I could get was a bright disc that looks like oncoming headlights. With the amount of magnification I am getting I would hope to actually pick up a bit of extra detail than I can see with my eyes.

I really don't know what I am doing here. Any suggestions as to what I need to adjust so I can see something?

Michael.