View Single Post
Old 14-03-2017, 11:10 PM
Eris (Gerard)

G11 Tracking Problems

Hi everyone,
I am seeking advice from all of you who have had experience with the Losmandy G11 mount with a later Gemini 1 upgrade (Din plugs) re tracking issues. I am running level 4 Version 1.04.
The problem I am having with the mount (carrying a C11 with an Atik One 6 and autoguider) is that it's not tracking properly and I am getting star trails with just 3 second exposures. The combined weight of the CCD camera and a counter balance on the scope is approximately 2.4 kg
Using the hand controller in "All Speeds" mode I can slew in both axes, although motion in Dec is very temperamental and sometimes just doesn't want to work at all. I have checked and double checked connections.

Tonight I dispensed with the autoguider and just used an illuminated eyepiece to see if there was any improvement without the added load. No luck.
To check motion of the mount I turned off the drive switch and allowed a star to drift along a cross hair in the eyepiece. I then turned the mount back on expecting the drift to stop but the star tracked about 45° off the line.

What I have done so far
• Mount is accurately polar aligned
• Scope setup balanced in both axes
• Powered up from a mains supply transformer running at 12.1volts at 4
amps (measured not under load)
• All connectors RA & Dec din plugs and power connections etc cleaned
with IPA
• Hand controller adjustments set for current UTC/date/my longitude
and latitude and nearest time zone +10 ACDT
• Checked that the mount is working as a G11

• Recently added fresh battery inside Gemini unit

Remaining options being considered
• Upgrade power supply to (Powertech 13.8 volt 5 Amp regulated DC
supply) - I would prefer a higher voltage say 15 volts but can't locate
one as yet
• Search for replacement Dec din plug

I would very much appreciate it if anybody can help me resolve this problem as it has been the cause of very considerable and ongoing frustration. I won't even dare mention the 'G' word which is the next massive headache in waiting.
Thanks in advance to all of you who can help me out with this problem.