View Single Post
Old 16-08-2016, 12:02 AM
Windston (Dan)
Lets light this candle.

Expression of interest for pre-built Dew heaters?

Hi.

I am a 16yo QLD kid with a real addiction to astrophotography. I have got some reasonable good gear by working on my family farm, and my family really like the photos that I produce, so they are happy to help support.
With that I have the basics, NEQ6, and 5inch newt and a 600D.

However I would like to purchase a few more nick nacks, and dont want to rely on them for cash, and want to be able to pay them back a bit.

Anyway, I just finished my first dew heater today, I was sick of using a hair dryer to heat up my guidescope's lens all night!

I am currently using Nichrome wire, soldered to a 12v cigarette adapter, I use the dew heater spreadsheet made by Al Sheehan B.E or "Sheeny" to calculate the resistance for the size of the objective. I then cut the wire to size based on the ohms/m, stick it to some duct tape, making sure that it looks tidy. It wraps around your objective and sticks with velcro. At the end, you have a silver strip that is powered by a 12v DC cigarette lighter, that provides heat all night long. Cool ay?

Anyway, if I where to charge, say 25$-30$ for one of these (Takes me 30min-1hr, plus about 10$ for materials, and a few bucks postage, needing to be driven to the post office etc ), do you guys think that I would get enough interest around the community to support or lighten the financial load of my addiction?!

Kind of like what Exfso does with his light boxes.

I would ship them all tested working of course with a lighter plug, so its just plug and play.

Thanks heaps
Dan