View Single Post
Old 20-06-2017, 06:46 PM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

Hi Greg,

Parts of Canada, Fairbanks Alaska, Tromso, Alta. All good. The hot zone for aurorae is the Arctic Circle, go further north to +75-80 latitude and the intensity and frequency drops off, likewise south.

In 2015, I went to Tromsø but stayed on a farm on Kvaløya about 60km / 1 hr drive from Tromsø. Also quite possible to stay in Tromsø and drive out at night or buy an aurora tour.

I have documented the details here :
http://joe-cali.com/eclipses/PAST/TSE2015/aurora.html

Frequency is highest around equinox. Pick the dark winter side of the equinox. darkness evaporates quickly on the summer side of the equinox. My page also has a daylight plot for 69N.

Also note that near the arctic circle, if you pick your travel dates carefully, you can get 2 weeks without any moon. So you can go there around first or last Q or stay 2 weeks in the dark of the Moon.
So for an October visit, plan your visit across New moon and first quarter, for a Feb,March try to visit last quarter to New Moon.

All Arctic locations have problems with cloud. You need time & patience or luck to catch a clear night WITH an aurora.

We had a little of each we allocated a week(patience), 3 clear nights in a week(luck), one partly clear night with nothing, a spectacular KP5.4 display one night(bright enough that it lights up the ground) and a modest Kp3 display the other night(visible to naked eye but not spectacular bright.

I know Jay Anderson. He has some good ideas about where to find the best clear skies for aurora viewing in Canada. Unfortunately I've forgotten where he said. If you want to go there, I can email him and ask about Canada locations for you. Tromsø is easy, fly in rent a car but it is expensive.

cheers

Joe