View Single Post
Old 01-04-2012, 07:13 AM
stevous67 (Steve M)

Well done and congrats on the nice presentation of your analysis.

I have the Astronomik CLS 2" filter for my STL, and I can confirm that imaging galaxies is totally possible from my suburban home in Melbourne [35km from CBD].

I've attached an example of NGC1365, taken in Feb last year, and I think it was 5x10min subs Bin1x1, with the GSO 10" RC.

I have bright street lighting around me, and when I look up on a moonless night, I can just see Eta Carina [NGC3372] naked eye as a slight and faint smudge, I can no way see the Magellanic Clouds, and I think I can see to about apparent mag 2 [a guess]?

Apart from using narrow band filters, I cannot capture RGB channels without influence of the city lighting.

On a separate note: I read in peoples captures that they image in "heavy light pollution", and I am amazed by the colour definition achieved - but this is not a product of their advanced optics, but more the relativity of one’s opinion of what "heavy light pollution" is. If I go to a regional town, say Somerville VIC, and I'm at my mother-in-laws home, which is situated in the middle of town, I look up and are amazed how improved the darkness and contrast is.

Back onto this thread, thanks again - very interesting.

Cheers,

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (NGC1365 - STL11K.jpg)
142.3 KB61 views