View Single Post
Old 26-02-2010, 08:47 AM
NilRecurring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
The old addage of 2" per pixel is now a bit out modded. Current thinking is that over sampling is fine and under sampling is not great. You may find that you are slightly under sampling with that setup and it could cause some square stars. The problem lies with the focal length of the scope rather than the pixel size in the camera. It is worth a try though as this will present a nice wide field. If it does not work you can always sell the scope.

The ST8300 is great for galaxy work when combined with a longer focal length scope. I currently have my setup at 0.7" per pixel and this allows a great deal of sharpening before it becomes a problem.

With a slightly shorter FL you will find this sensor will perform well. Several chaps here are using 700 odd mm of FL and achieving really nice results.

Best of luck.
I see.

Well, the FSQ-106 is out of my budget, as when I include the accessories, that pretty much adds another $500. At this point, I'm at $3500. With the 106EDX, I will be at $4500, way out of my budget.

But if you think 700mm of FL is going to be ok, then adding an extender to 85ED will provide me with a scale of 1.65"/pixel (FL of 675mm). Is this still undersampled? The extender is a further $300.

Secondly, I'm intentionally going for short FL scope, I'm just a beginner and I have been recommended a short FL scope to start off with by numerous folks.

Regarding guiding, I have a Orion ST80 for a guidescope along with a Orion SSAG.

Half of the people I've talked with have told me 2.47"/pixel is just fine. And the other half tell me that its not. I really don't know what to do about this. I'm trying to make a rig thats going to last me a long time and due to location (Pakistan), I cannot easily sell stuff, as there's virtually no market for this. So I try to buy the best I can afford so I don't 'upgrade' every 12 months and waste money.

There is something that makes me feel I'm making the right decision. The FSQ-106 is often coupled with the STL11000, which has huge pixels and provides a image scale of 3.3"/pixel, and I can still see lots of stunning work with this combo.

Last edited by NilRecurring; 26-02-2010 at 09:13 AM.