Thread: Veil Nebula
View Single Post
Old 25-08-2017, 11:29 AM
N1 (Mirko)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSkyBagger View Post
FWIW, I've never found the OIII filter to be of the least use when looking for the North America Nebula.
It does help with light pollution. As does a UHC. No big difference between them TBH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinderboxsky View Post
Well you have got me thinking I should try from home.
I’ll also put it on my list when next visiting the Astronomical Society of Tasmania’s observing site. It is north east of Hobart with a relatively good, dark northern outlook.
I have dark skies from the East, through South and around to the West and overhead. Ideal for all of the far southern gems. The low Hobart sky glow (direct lights shielded by low hills) only interferes when chasing fainter objects low in the North. Having said that I do give myself the challenge of at least one observation of the Andromeda Galaxy each November - it culminates at about 5 degrees directly above Hobart. I have managed a sighting each of the last 4 years since I started.
It will definitely work from the observing site. The trick is to find it for the first time. It's pretty straight-forward after that. At culmination it sits directly above epsilon Cygni. You may want to bring a wide field capable instrument along with the bigger aperture one. Seeing the Veil is about 10° further south than M31, I'd hazard a guess that you will see the two main regions from home also. M31 is all but impossible from Dunedin. Have fun!

Last edited by N1; 25-08-2017 at 11:40 AM.