View Single Post
Old 17-06-2016, 07:11 AM
UBoat
PeterO

Anyone using the Starlight Express for DSO imaging?

Does anyone know of user groups for the Starlight Express Ultratar C that publish video or static images that might demonstrate its DSO imaging capability?

I'm putting together an ultraportable kit for hiking into dark sites. Similar concept to the Meade ETX80 but set up for astroimaging and viewing DSO's. The last piece of the jigsaw is to select a camera that is small with low power consumption (< 200mA at 5VDC USB, and capable of stacking on the fly. I'm currently using an ASI120MC which is not quite sensitive enough for my purpose and an Orion G3 deep space mono unit with the cooling unused, which is a bit low on resolution. Both work very well with Sharp Cap for live imaging and stacking.

I'm considering the Starlight Express Ultrastar C and the ASI 224MC. The ASI camera has a useful following of users who have posted quite a few well specified DSO images and the camera looks suitable provided I'm careful with darks and manage the amp glow. The Ultrastar specification looks compelling particularly for its low noise but I haven't been able to find a significant set of examples of its use as an imaging camera - other than images of the ubiquitous M42.

Any advice most welcome. Peter