View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 02:23 AM
Tandum (Robin)

Troy the problem with the 8300 sensor, no matter which camera, is that the readout buffer is a row of standard pixels with 25K well depth. If you read out a heavily exposed and binned image through those buffers, they will overflow and flood the Analogue/Digital Converter on the camera.

What Rick see's on his SX camera is an overload of the A/D converter which causes lines coming out from bright stars when you bin. The gain on the camera is set too high for binning and in SX cameras that gain is set via a pot on the cameras main board. In the QHY cameras they have a feature called clamping which switches in a diode on the A/D converter input and simply lops off hi levels above the clamping point.

Not sure what the others do but the problem is in the sensor itself and the readout buffer. I found it worked best to do 1x binning for everything but I know that's often not possible so next best is to figure out the binning multiplier and reduce binned subs by that factor. I mean, binned x 2 should be 4 times but it's not, it's probably closer to 2.5times. Take some shots of an G2V star and measure it.

So you might end up with 10 minute Lum binned x1 and 3minute RGB binned x2 to get the balance right.

Or buy a camera with a huge well depth and bypass all this crap