View Single Post
Old 12-04-2009, 05:18 PM
Shaun

Hi Jen,

I have done some looking at my options for pics i have a different angle on things as my needs are different.

The Gstar is different to to 90% of the cams that are used for pics because of the lux used for the cam in other words it can see things at night others can't, the way a normal DSLR and web cam works is to expose the CCD or film to the object for a longer time, now i am no expert in astrophotography i have never even done it but i am a good learner and read a lot before i commit to a purchase.

With normal cameras you need to open the shutter for an extended amount of time up to 5 min and they wll take maybe 20 shots or more, one of the astro guys could give you exact examples this is why tracking is needed otherwise you get star trails because the object is moving and you have to move with it.

The Gstar is like a video camera and updates it's pictures every 2.56sec so when taking pictures you might have a few hundred frames you would know what i mean if you have done any type of video editing that the video contains frames, now i am not saying that you don't need tracking but it would be a good options.

The camera needs to connect to a pc or laptop to record the image then you would use a program like registax to add all these frames to make one frame for a picture, there is a bit more involved but that is the basics.

The best thing about Gstar is it can put a live picture of what you would normaly see in the eyepiece on a tv or pc screen.

From what i have seen the pack you are looking at is good,BUT the filters are used to create colour photos and the best option for these is to place them in a filter selector these cost about $200 the hand controller is a good idea but if you are intending to connect it to a pc the the hand controller is not needed as the pc can control the camera the cable to do this is $65 then depending on what pc you have you may need another adapter at around $30

What i plan to do is buy the Gstar-ex for $615 then get the cable, at a later date i will buy the filters and filter selector for colour photos.

Sorry i kinda went on about but hope it all makes sense.