View Single Post
Old 03-06-2016, 08:47 AM
gregbradley

I think you also need to consider the well depth of the CCD/CMOS detector in this equation. Also how well the antiblooming works. Antiblooming is supposed to prevent bleed from too much exposure going over into the surrounding pixels.In practice I doubt it works that perfectly and not at all binning levels. For one thing its in the hands of the camera manufacturer to set the antiblooming level and for another electronically I doubt anything works perfectly 100% efficiently. It would also be hidden thing about how well the antiblooming is implemented on the circuitry of the sensor itself.

I have noticed very clearly time and again that cameras with deep wells protect the stars way better than cameras with small wells. Stars get wrecked 5X faster with small welled cameras than deep welled cameras.

The KAF16803 has around 100,000 electron full well depth. Its hard to wreck the stars with that camera. The trend is to CCDs and CMOS with small pixels and thus small wells. Users of those cameras need to be more careful about stars and stretching data etc.

You see this mainly with DSLRs where its common to see a DSLR image that hasn't taken this into account when processing and all the stars are white with no colour, ie. all overexposed.

Greg.