View Single Post
Old 02-06-2019, 09:34 PM
FrancoRodriguez (Franco)
Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawomir View Post
My understating is that Nick is correct - for extended objects f-ratio determines the speed, not aperture.

If we take 10" f/5 and 4" f/5, the 4" will collect only 16% of the photons that 10" does. However, while keeping aperture the same, 500mm focal length will put 6.25 as many photons as 1250mm focal length (keeping aperture the same).

So if we combine both factors, aperture and the focal length: 0.16 x 6.25 = 1 On no! How can this be? 10" f/5 will be as fast for extended objects as 4" f/5? Actually, 4" f/5 will be somehow faster due to the lack of central obstruction and loss of light at the mirrors with the 10"

But for point sources, 10" will easily detect many many more stars than 4" and will most likely allow for a sharper image with tighter stars
I think you've given me exactly what I needed--thanks! "...sharper image with tighter stars." That's got to be it.
It's such a seemingly simple question, trivial in fact, but actually a little harder to answer when it comes down to it.
The awful truth is that I'm trying to convince myself THAT I COULD DO WITH A BIGGER TELESCOPE! Terrible I know, and rather embarrassing...