View Single Post
Old 21-02-2019, 07:51 AM
Sunfish (Ray)

Rob,

Thanks for the comment.

I can see how a rat cage with 4 x 20mm bolts would exceed the cross sectional area of the heq mount base itself , and then in HT steel.

So if the bolts are short , well tensioned and fixed to the correct depth it should be just as good as the mount itself and better than a thin poorly fixed tube.

I think piers only need to big at the bottom where the bending moment and vibration is large cantilevering out of the ground. Ideally tapered. Thus the use of fins or , like me, braces. There is no advantage to the top being larger than the mount plus fixing room. Unless you want to cut a big hole in your your big thin column at the top where it is not doing much work, so all the same really.

Nice to keep your stuff on the big plate though.

So keep those rats caged.

Cheers
Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobF View Post
I love my rat cage. Its over engineered and still leaves handy spot for cable management and knick knacks to keep them off the ground.

Compared to a tripod you have to be miles ahead in stability anyway.

People never talk about Focal Length before getting into this whole rate cage debate. Unless you're running a heavy RC at >1.5m FL its probably pretty moot to your tracking and Arcsec/pixel.