View Single Post
Old 06-01-2021, 11:43 AM
GJH4208 (Graham)

Thanks for adding me :)

Hi everyone.

Total newbie here lol, so thanks in advance for all this wonderful information. I'm about to be lost in here for the next few evenings reading everything.

I live in Jacobs Well Queensland, it's nice and dark, so not a bad place to break out the telescope every now and then. However of late, the damn mosquitos and clouds have taken over my front yard and night sky

Now 57yo, I've always been an outdoors guy, with a love of fishing, boating, footy and motorcycles, until the inevitable Melanoma's appeared and the hospital visits begun in 2020. Hence the reason for my new "night time hobby". I'm fine now, just a bit more carved up than I was in 2019 lol.

I went all out in the pursuit of optical excellence for my first astronomy setup, purchasing an exquisite piece of engineering for just $100 from China. A Newtonian on a somewhat unstable mount, with a focuser best operated with a set of multi grips. Anyway I loved it and for a few months, it prevented me from destroying something precious and much more desirable.

Recently I upgraded to a used, but mint condition Orioin XX12G Truss Goto Dobsonian. I was so pleased, as I sold a guitar that cost me $300 and fully covered the cost of the new telescope

I couldn't believe it, I actually now owned a real telescope! Of course, I quickly bolted to the shop and bought two NASA shirts, as you do, so I'd look the part in my front yard, inside the tall fence, in the dark by myself haha

The new telescope came with goodies from Farpoint, Tele Vue, Orion "Stratus Eyepieces", a filter carousel and a number of diagonal attachments, so once these clouds disappear, I'm sure I'll be in for a treat.

If you are in the area, or want to set up here one night, feel free to let me know, you'd be most welcome.

I like to go events in Beechmont and Tamborine Mountain areas as well, so if you are at these events anytime, come and say hi.

Cheers and thanks for having me

Graham