View Single Post
Old 23-03-2018, 04:23 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
Indeed just another tax. We already have income tax, GST, stamp duty, luxury car tax (for the car industry that doesn't exist) , excise, customs entry fee and security fees....plus our postage costs are amongst the highest in the world.

What to leave? Our passports are also the most expensive.

We are mugs. If the user pays for all levels of government service you have to wonder what exactly they do with our income tax which was supposed to cover all of the above.

P.S.
I forgot...despite billion dollar revenue, Google paid less tax that yours truly last year....and the government wants to give them a tax cut
Precisely. I also have NEVER felt as oppressed as when I re-enter Australia from overseas with the VERY prominent government signs, warnings, etc. Oh, and the "Informing our choices" BS.

But yet to some this planned "Security" tax is something that needs to be paid? How and why, considering that we already pay through the neck at the Post Office? It is something that our taxes should already pay for. $7 per item imported is outrageous and I doubt a single Australian will stand for it. What next, they'll charge us to have presents from overseas friends and relatives sent to us, as I am SURE they will claim now that as a loophole.

It won't work, and it can't, and it should not even be thought about in the first place. Tax Gerry Harvey more, chase the big dollar businesses, not regular Joe Blow wanting to bring in some cheap stuff for the kids.

It's not only idiotic, it's insulting. So much for the free and open market democracy we live in - the one becoming more and more restrictive and encumbered every day.

From informing our choices to limiting our choices.