View Single Post
Old 04-02-2018, 12:59 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Conjunction of mars and jabbah

Well ..I set the alarm for 4.15am here in Sydney and it was mostly clear, seeing so so...and there they were ...Jabbah , Mars, Jupiter and Saturn...

Jabbah or Nu Scorpii Scorpii..looks like a lovely widefield Binocular double , at separation 41.60 " at mags 4.35 ,6.60; what one immediately notices is how big a magnitude delta there is between the 2 pairs..Mars. 1° way , was only mag +1.2 and 5.7".

With an average sized scope of over 4"..Jabbah can be split again into 2 pairs at 2.4" and 1.3"(the brighter pair AB) on a night of good seeing...This star is also called PINYIN in Chinese Astronomy!

My 130mm TS Triplet made short work of both pairs ...1.3" , not at first but after some minutes of good seeing there they were, like 2 bright orbs...kissing.

Not a huge colour contrast difference between the 2 pairs ..but the brighter AB pair seeming, a pure white as compared to a blue white of the CD pair.

AB:Mags.. 4.4 + 6.6
CD:Mags..6.5 + 7.9.

Absolutely gorgeous to behold in a Delos 3.5mm ..mag 260x , or even a 3.2 dual ED mag 284x completely split, its my surprising EP...the Orthos got a run too, with the 2.5x barlowed 9mm KK at 260x , putting up probably the cleanest show ..no hint of ghosting , flaring etc .

All in all a morning to remember..

Considering lovely Beta Scorpii and Antares were also in the field nearby and split , made it even more so.
bigjoe.

Last edited by bigjoe; 04-02-2018 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Adding info on stars