View Single Post
Old 27-10-2011, 09:48 PM
Hagar (Doug)

Just one thing to be aware of. A OSC camera uses a bayer mask in front of the CCD to capture and distinquish colour. Using a OSC camera at 2 x 2 binning or anything higher than 1 X 1 makes the images just black and white.
There are plenty of options out there so the end choice is yours alone. b You might find a cheaper alternative is a camera with either a Mono or colour KAF8300. This CCD has proven itself as probably the most sucessful, best priced CCD available today.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcheshire View Post
I've been researching CCD cameras, learning CCD theory, asking questions and generally reading as much as I can. For my use an OSC is the best choice. I want better performance than a DSLR. Alternatively, I could modify my 1000D with an Astrodon inside filter... but the noise overhead and dark frame requirements are painfully time consuming.

I think the choice, other than price, is coming down to QE, noise, cooling and ease of use. So far, FLI and Apogee are of interest with KAI 8050 sensors 5.6um pixels. Ideal for 200mm and 400mm with 2x2 binning.

Another option is the 4.2mp interline transfer sensor 7.4um. These seem like extremely good sensors, although pixel size is not quite right for the focal length I'm using.

Bottom line, low noise sensor, low noise electronics, high relative QE, effective cooling, not complex to use.

Which to choose?