View Single Post
Old 06-05-2012, 02:49 PM
madbadgalaxyman (Robert)

It is always good to get reports from one of our Northern "astro cousins". Your observations are detailed and accurate.

N6522 and N6528 are in one of those rare "low extinction windows" which enable the viewer to see right into the bulge component of our own Galaxy. They are only about 2000 light years from the very center of our own galaxy.

I reprint, here, some of my posts regarding these clusters:

For information about all of our own Galaxy's globular star clusters, I refer all of you to the catalog of Milky Way globular star clusters by William E. Harris at:

http://www.physics.mcmaster.ca/Globular

Harris has specialized in globular clusters for all of his professional life, and I believe that he is still keeping this list of globulars (and their properties) updated.

In this catalog you will find many nuggets of information;
for instance, the fact that NGC 6522 and NGC 6528 are almost the very nearest known globular clusters to the very centre of our galaxy. They sit well within the central bulge component of our galaxy at only 0.6 kiloparsecs (1950 light years) from the very centre of the Milky Way galaxy.

When we view this pair of globulars, we have a "porthole view" into the centralmost part of our galaxy, untroubled by the heavy dimming of light (from interstellar dust) that afflicts many fields in the direction of the centre of our galaxy.

An interesting question is:
"are there other fields (apart from NGC 6522/6528) where foreground extinction is so low that we can see all the way in to near the centre of our own galaxy?".

The low extinction (little foreground dust) region at and around NGC 6522 corresponds to the famous Baade's Window.
(see this preprint: astro-ph 9512137 at http//arxiv.org
and/or this reference : (1996), ApJ, 460, L37 (letters, page 37)

The stars in this low extinction window have been repeatedly studied, in order to characterize the stellar population that is found in the bulge component of the Milky Way galaxy.
(e.g. stellar ages & masses & metallicities & temperatures & colours)

It is often said that Baade's Window is one of the few places where we can view inwards to near the centre of our own Galaxy, but I wonder if this isn't just the sort of myth that becomes "truth" through constant repetition.
My own impression, from those long ago days when I was a regular night watchman of the Milky Way, was that there should be other places where we can see bulge stars.

It is not uncommon for the same incorrect information to be repeated again and again in astronomy textbooks, for instance the myth of the Milky Way being 100,000 light years across.
In fact, the region of spiral structure is only 70,000 to 80,000 light years across.