View Single Post
Old 16-09-2017, 05:47 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Hi all,

Encouraged by my initial tests, I decided to decrease the length of Lum subs from 5 minutes to 3 minutes only. On average, Lum subs are sky-limited in about 2 minutes in my location with my rig, but when it occasionally gets darker longer subs might be beneficial, so I decided to stick with 3 minutes.

Last night I was able to collect nearly 3 hours of 3-minute Lum subs and the data seem to be better than with 5-minute subs.

I selected the best (darkest) sub and used it as a reference for making stacks with various number of subs. Removing 10 brightest subs did not make things better and it looks like unless a sub is really bad (read: with bright background), it is better to include all in a stack with significant number of subs.

Perhaps bringing background noise down to st.dev. = 10 ADUs can be done in just 10 hours with 3-minute sky-limited subs, as opposed to 40 hours with 5-minute subs with my rig in my location.

A link to a stack of 55 3-minute Lum subs: http://cdn.astrobin.com/images/thumb..._watermark.jpg

Suavi
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Noise.jpg)
131.8 KB20 views