View Single Post
Old 21-02-2019, 07:55 PM
Astrolenn (Len)

In Defence of the Indi Server for Astronomy

The Raspberry Pi (RPI) has added new focus to a low cost way to control the observatory devices and allow a backend server to communicate with Client Software either locally (on the same computer) or remotely using Ethernet, Wi-Fi or Bluetooth.
A fully functional RPI (Raspberry Pi) may not work with your remote mac, or having worked, may stop working.

Mostly, this is caused by an “unwanted upgrade” on the remote device. The INDI Server on my mac needs a licence and as soon as I do so, the first upgrade makes it into an INDIGO server. If we ignore the update and select CONTINUE when opening the INDI server, then it secretly enables “Use INDIGO DRIVERS”

The INDI Drivers from Indilib.org for the Losmandy Gemini 2 use simple USB to communicate, but the Gemini drivers from INDIGO require a USB to Serial adaptor, and then RS-232 must be run into an unused serial port on the controller. I have not been able to use INDI to ETHERNET without it changing my MOUNTS LOCATION, DATE or other obscure settings.

My RPI now runs Ubuntu Mate and has 3 shortcuts on the desktop.
INDI Starter
INDIgui – this is a client and I use it to connect to the INDI server to enter and confirm all my settings.
A LOCAL CLIENT – I use KStars / Ekos or Cartes du Ceil

KStars requires a LOCATION before proceeding straight to Ekos
Ekos has its own INDI config. panel that mimics all the initial settings I first did on the INDI Starter and INDIgui.

My Mac Mini went supernova with dust and dew so I have been exploring the Raspberry Pi option... cheap and it works a treat..

Is anyone regularly using remote INDI Servers for their astronomy?

Len