View Single Post
Old 13-11-2016, 01:16 PM
Stonius (Markus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol-Skysailor View Post
Markus, and others,

Please confirm that I understood your explanation and demonstration correctly.... it is possible to create a 3D video of the moon?
Yes, it's the same principle as photography. As you note, a 3D moon taken on different sides of the earth could not include any foreground, as they would be too different (obviously). The word for this is 'retinal rivalry'.

Anything should work, as long as you can get a different view in the left and right eyes. You could even use the rotation of a planet or the sun as a means to fake 3D. Terrestrial planets may work better as the rotation on gas bodies is differential between the poles and the equator, but how much of a difference that makes remains to be seen. Anyone want to send me some data? Any images with around 5 degrees or rotation between pics?

Quote:
Including for a magnified part of the moon, at crescent limbs -or at full moon if such lighting would work. For 3D craters and rilles?
I think here you would have to use your pre-mentioned plan to have distant observers photograph the moon at the same time, because the phase would have to be exactly the same, as would the libration, since you're going for details. You don't want the lighting of those craters to shift between shots, only the observer's position.

Also, one thing to be careful of when making your own 3D images, you want the images to be slightly different, yes, but in the x (left - right) plane only

You don't want the same feature to have a different y position (height). So if your two images of the moon have an axis of difference that runs anything other than vertical, you will need to rotate the images to achieve this.

Quote:
The 3D processing could be organised after, do you think? Like, the red/cyan or polarising even though producing images of images would work well?
l
Quote:
Yes, after reading your explanation I thought hey images at libration opposites should work then. Amazing what you explained and showed. I have (had) magic eyes but my eyesight has changed unevenly so will stare at them some more.
It takes a little practice to do the cross-eyes 'free-viewing' thing. The trick is, when cross-eyed, to try overlay the right moon image in the left eye over the left image in the right eye, then try to focus; thus forming a composite in the middle. Or if you have a stereoscopic screen, try Stereoscopic player, which will play back pretty much any 3D input format in any output format. And if you have the anaglyph glasses (red/cyan) it'll do that too. In fact, the moon is pretty much the perfect subject because it's largely colourless. With colour separation 3D, the more brightly coloured an object is (particularly towards red/cyan) the more it tends towards retinal rivalry (unless you make it black and white before applying anaglyph processing).

Quote:
Markus, you're heaven sent for 3D. Lucky for us you saw the questions and kindly reponded.
l
No Problem. There 's so much knowledge here that it's rare that discussion revolves around a field that I can usefully contribute to. That's what forums are about, in the end.

Cheers

Markus