View Single Post
Old 15-06-2020, 08:39 AM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymck View Post
Thanks Glen, I've been thinking about whether it would be better to build from scratch or just raise the pump shed up. If I build from scratch, I can make it a bit bigger, maybe 2.2m x 1.5. Might make it a bit bit easier to use on the odd occasion for visual stuff.

Decisions, decisions,
cheers
Gary
Bigger is always useful. Think about dimensioning it to give you swing room for your longest scope, or dream scope, and room for a chair and workstation of some sort. I believe most people building observatories end up thinking, " if i just had a little more room". Mine is a little larger than your suggested measurements (@ 2,4m x 1,8m internal floor size), and it works fine ( although my long refractors just clears the walls), but also if your using a tripod think about a pier as it takes much less room and you will not be tripping over it.

PS, the reason I picked ( 2,4 x 1,8) is because I can move it with a car trailer if I really need to do that. It sits on treated posts off the ground, so there is an air gap underneath. The concrete pier extends up from the cubic metre footing, through a hole in the floor.