View Single Post
Old 27-02-2019, 11:07 AM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukastronomer View Post
I have the setup in the photograph.

Quark daystar Ha, 72mm Ed

1. Would you expect to see granulation and detail on the sun visually, see photo 2, NOT mine.

2. If so what am I doing wrong as all I ever see is a plain sun no detail

Thanks
For the image you've shown, being able to see the dark lines between the solar granules determines whether you will see:

1. a smooth orange yellow disc with an earth sized black sunspot hole or
2. a red/orange/black detailed granular image showing filaments entering the black sunspot.

Based on the image, the dark lines between the solar granules are in the region of 0.3 -0.5 arcseconds wide (and larger in some areas). You will not see (nor image) this detail with a small telescope. In order to see?/image such would require a large aperture telescope, excellent seeing ± adaptive optics or better yet something in orbit.

You will be able to see/image some degree of granulation, with a large enough aperture scope with sufficient abberation free resolution but would be limited to solar detail probably no smaller than 1 to 1.5 arc seconds being limited by typical excellent/good seeing, unless you go a dessert somewhere in Chile for, I think: 0.6 to 1 second type seeing (although I'm not sure if that's still achieved for daytime seeing). Anyway, with such seeing someone with probably ~2000-3000mm focal length and sufficient aperture and cameras would have a good show at some excellent results.

Best
JA

Last edited by JA; 27-02-2019 at 11:26 AM.