View Single Post
Old 25-02-2021, 12:53 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Baader MPCC Mk3 Coma Corrector Spacing

I’ve been imaging with a Baader Mk3 coma corrector in my newts for years now and it was only recently brought to my attention by a fellow member that my images have some coma affected stars in the corners. I upgraded last August from a Canon 600D DSLR after using it for 4 years to a ZWOASI2600MC cooled OSC
I looked at a few of my old images captured with the DSLR and using the Baader Mk3 coma corrector ( same scopes as I have now ) and the Star field to the corners were pretty much coma free.
Now using my 2600MC I have some coma affected stars mainly towards the corners of field.
Comparing camera specs

Canon 600D
Sensor size 22.3mm x 14.9mm APS-C
Pixel size 4.3uM
Adapters Canon T ring adapter only
Distance from sensor face to Baader Mk3 CC. Approx 50mm to 51mm

ZWOASI2600MC
Sensor size 23.5mm x 15.7mm APS-C
Pixel size 3.75uM
Adapters 1 x ZWO M42M-M48F (16.5mm ) 1 x ZWO M42M-M42F (21mm )
Distance from sensor face to Baader Mk3 CC Approx 55mm to 56mm

NB: Baader Mk3 coma corrector specs advise a spacing from sensor to coma corrector of 55mm +- 1mm

According to the above when reviewing both old DSLR images and my latest images using the ZWOASI2600MC , I should move my Baader Mk3 CC closer to the sensor by around 5mm.
I would have thought bringing it closer would introduce curvature or something like that.
Before I start any trial and error testing , I would appreciate some advice from more experienced imagers if bringing the coma corrector closer to the sensor may solve my coma issues
NB: I use a 6” f6 newt and 8”f5 newt

Thanks in advance