View Single Post
Old 21-10-2011, 07:11 PM
AndyK (Andy)
VK2AAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH View Post
Mark,

I'm sure it's obvious by now that I don't know much about taking pics. Dumb question number four hundred coming up....

When you compare, say, the 90mm (macro) lens with the 180mm (macro) lens, what are the differences? In other words, what can you do with a 180mm that you can't with a 90? Is there a simple laymans answer?

Also, a review of the 90mm says..."takes great portraits". Is this meaning regular people type portraits, or is portraits a 'tradie' term for the type of pic you took of the cicada?

Cheers
Conventional wisdom is that a lens of around 100mm focal length is best for portraits ... and by portraits I mean pictures of people in the conventional sense. Wide angle lenses tend to exaggerate features (making noses appear bigger than they are for example) and are not particularly flattering.
A 180mm lens is probably a bit on the long side for portraiture ... you would need to move back a fair way to get a head shot, however I often use a 200mm for head shots with good success.

The Canon 180mm L series macro is a great lens but it's not for the faint hearted. It takes a lot of getting used to.

The Canon 100mm macro (non IS) is reasonably priced and has excellent optical quality. I would suggest starting with that lens and if you are bitten by the macro bug perhaps update in the future.

I can't comment on the third-party lenses. I only ever use Canon lenses.

Last edited by AndyK; 21-10-2011 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Spelling