View Single Post
Old 22-07-2015, 08:37 PM
tornado33

Goodbye to good health :(

Hi all
Had the biggest health crisis of my life, including a full week in hospital.
About a month or so ago noticed a burning sensation when urinating, wasn't too bad at first but got worse week by week. I noted urine had become cloudy, say GP got antibiotics. Had ultrasound, showed enlarged prostate, stronger antibiotics did nothing. Then eyes affected in space of 2 days become very red and full of gunk. parents took me to emergency, was admitted.

In a few days I deteriorated further and knee joints became affected, could barely walk. Constant testing for bugs revealed nothing. Eventual diagnosis was a rare but very disabling Reactive Arthritis, also known as Reiters Syndrome. Its an autoimmune disorder where immune system begins to attack parts of the body, I have the "Classic triad" Reiters Syndrome of unary tract, eyes and joints being attacked.

Prognosis is a very slow recovery at best 3 to 6 months. I went from running 50 kms a week to not even able to walk to local bus stop. I envisage there will be muscle wasting, also the joint swelling and inflammation could result in permanent damage. Online blurb says some sufferers can be left permanently disabled.

I'm on Indocid Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory medication. It can have side effects in the gut and liver. Ive had a lot of time off my 8 hours a week part time cleaning job, will return on Friday. I certainly wont be capable of anything more for some time.
Astronomy is out, cold night air plays havoc, I get chills and fevers, and cold on knees makes them worse and cannot lift anything heavy.

So that's my sad story, I think I must say goodbye to good health from now on. Cheers, Scott