View Single Post
Old 03-02-2015, 11:54 AM
bwana (Brian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
The interesting development to me in camera sensors is likely about to be released by Sony. An active pixel sensor that does not have a Bayer filter array, shoots in colour and somehow gets red, green and blue info of each pixel, has 24 stops of dynamic range at ISO5120 and low noise and capable of 16,000 frames per second. If all true it would be an unbelievable jump in sensor performance. I believe its not far away.

It potentially could be a huge advance for astrophotography. Low noise at high ISO being the unkown factor but likely to be good as the pixels can be very large due to not needing 4 pixels to make a colour pixel like in Bayer sensors.

Greg.
There was a research paper published about two years ago (from a university in Italy) regarding sensor technology that hinted that microchip technology had advanced to the state where it was feasible to have each photosite on a bare sensor determine the frequency/energy of the light being captured and output a color value & luminosity directly without the necessity of bayer filters or a lot of the current nonsense associated with capturing a color image...

Sounds a bit far fetched but when you think about it, it is probably quite doable if one can reduce what is essentially a spectrograph to the size of a photosite on a sensor.

I for one would love to test this sensor!

bwa