View Single Post
Old 25-02-2018, 06:25 PM
Bushy69 (Justin)

Eye Piece Suggestions for Mak 180

Hello Everyone.

I have recently purchased a used Skywatcher Mak 180 Pro (Gold Tube) OTA and HEQ5 Pro Mount. I already have a Skywatcher 8" f5 on a Dob mount and a handful of lenses that came with the 8" scope (all average TBH).

The Mak 180 came with the original Lenses (Pictured) and they are seriously awful. I have been getting by with some Meade 4000 lenses that came with a Coronado PST.

I am awaiting the Mak to SCT Visual Back Adapter, and plan on adding a 2" Dual Speed Focuser and a 2" Good quality diagonal (as I suspect the stock 1.25" diagonal that ships with the Mak 180 is a POS).

I have a 1.25" Meade 4000 8-24 Zoom in transit (just cos I have always wanted to assess the zooms) but this was primarily purchased for the Coronado PST.

So my question... I am after a couple of good quality eyepieces... something around the 12mm mark and also a low power eyepiece (24mm to 30mm range). The Mak 180 has a 30mm visual back opening, so assuming anything over 30mm is going to be an issue (though I have read people happily using 35mm Panoptics).

Price is always a consideration, but I would rather spend once on quality rather than chasing my tail and buying/selling.

I am visual only (dabble in basic AP), and when planets are down, tend towards small DSO's and Double Stars.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Bushy
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Eyepieces.JPG)
52.1 KB49 views