View Single Post
Old 20-01-2020, 10:04 AM
Paul Haese

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Very nice result Paul, it is such an intriguing galaxy, so many swirls and the accompanying galaxies make for a lot of interest in the scene

One of the coolest bit of this galaxy though, is a faint two lobed outer loop extension. It is hard to pick up in your image as displayed but extends down to the lower right and out of the frame in a 5pm direction. It is discernible in your image under a strong stretch. If you had positioned the galaxy a bit further to the upper left and rotated the camera slightly clockwise you would have fitted it all in nicely I recon..?

Anyway, that's just an aside, still a great shot.

Mike

Thanks Mike. I did consider another framing to include that outer stream. I noted it a few years back when I used the FSQ to image the region and it started to come out with extended integration. That outer stream is really faint, but a worthy target. Perhaps one day in the future I'll try to capture all of it. If I get the new AG12 setup with the STXL I think I could capture it well as well as the rest of the field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post
Nice one Paul; classy as usual. I think this would be an interesting target to go ultra deep on. Are you planning to add data over future seasons?

Thanks Lee, I think I'll have to try for to another lot of imaging next year, just to see what I can get out of it. There are a lot of background galaxies in the field and those combined with the tidal streams might well produce interesting results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
The 24 hours of data is really showing there Paul, such a smooth and clean result with some very good detail within the galaxies themselves

The virtually blue large background galaxy on the right side (NGC 1310) intrigues me.

Thanks Colin, a bit of smoothing had to be employed but it was only slight to get a smooth background. NGC1310 does not appear to have many old stars within it. I looked at several images of this galaxy and not many showed much colour other than blue. The only one that showed much colour was Rolf's image a few years back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco View Post
Excellent shot Paul, very detailed. Are you working at 0.98"/pixel, right?
May I ask the average FWHM you had on the original fit?
Clear skies
Marco

Thank Marco, the image scale is 0.94"/pixel. This image is a slight crop to remove some odd shaped stars in the far corners. The FWHM of individual subs used were according to CCDStack2 2-3.1. Seeing has been a bit average at Clayton for the last few years but still quite serviceable. The stack of luminance FWHM was 4 prior to some decon. Why do you ask?