View Single Post
Old 22-09-2014, 09:37 PM
PRejto (Peter)

Ray,

You are correct, and personally I don't think it's working out too well for me. I looked again at the link to the photo that was put up over at CN. I now think it is just as poor as what I'm getting. I think I wanted to believe it was better!

Tonight I took a lot of data that I need to think about and perhaps graph. The Hutech IDAS filter certainly helped with a sense of better focus in blue, and reduced the bloat some. It's a step in the right direction, but not enough. I also took 3 sets of images working upward in 30 sec increments up to 5 minutes. There is pretty clear bloating/time in blue. I didn't run the same extensive test in red but there was also some bloat. Compared to blue it wasn't terribly significant. So, it seems there are at least 2 issues going on here. The violet spectrum is out of focus and is causing focus and halo looking issues, and even 5 min exposure of some stars will be far too much.

My luminance image using a CLS filter on the G2-8300 is tack sharp. I took some images with the blue Astronomik filter just to compare. I'd never done that on the TEC180. I noticed a tiny amount of star enlargement along with a tiny bit of soft looking focus. It appears that even this camera will suffer just a tiny bit without a UV block. Previously I had used this camera on my TEC140 but always with the Hutech IDAS filter which produced pretty tight stars in blue. I'm inevitably coming to the conclusion that this camera/scope matchup is not made in heaven. If the filter option fails it might be time for the camera to find a new owner with a reflecting system perhaps.

Peter