Thread: Old School
View Single Post
Old 20-09-2020, 11:02 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

Looks like a keeper Trevor. It's great to be able to revitalize these old lenses to adapt to modern day digital cameras. You can appreciate how good they really were now that you can zoom in on a computer monitor and check out the resolution and sharpness.

I've adapted some of my old Pentax Spotmatic F M42 lenses to my Canon 550d and love using them again. When we used film, especially colour negative film, we never really knew how good these lenses were because of the processes involved in getting the final photo print. Unless you printed them yourself and used fine grained film, the lens resolving capabilities were compromised and you relied totally on the photo labs to do it right and sometimes they'd come back looking pretty bad. This may not have been the fault of the photographer or the lens!

I used Kodak Kodachrome quite often, so I had a pretty good idea how good the lenses were. This reversal film gave a much better representation of what the lens and photographer could do in one process. The transparencies you viewed was the film that was used in the camera, the colours were more vibrant. I have Kodachrome slides that still look good after more than 40 years. Having said that, digital photography has surpassed film now and I wouldn't want to go back! Enjoy your old lenses.

Last edited by Mickoid; 20-09-2020 at 11:13 PM.